Thinking of Getting Married in Korea?

For service members stationed in Korea, the marriage process is very different than what may be expected or experienced in the United States. Marrying a foreign national requires several steps to ensure the marriage is legal. It is also done to protect the service member’s security clearance. Those seeking to marry in Korea must review USFK Regulation 600-240 to ensure all marriage requirements are met prior to getting married.

Marriage to a Korean Citizen

The foreign marriage process includes several requirements for the service member and their future spouse. In addition to numerous forms to be completed, marriage to a foreign national requires a medical exam, a background check, and proof of citizenship. Additionally, if the foreign national is not a Korean citizen, they must ensure they contact their respective country’s Embassy to determine what their country requires to marry in Korea.

Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

USFK Regulation 600-240 does not apply to marriages between U.S. Citizens, U.S. Service members (Dual Mil) regardless of Citizenship, or U.S. Service members and non-U.S. Citizens who have a lawful U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card). Requirements for these types of marriages vary, so visit the Legal Office to obtain the correct marriage packets and further instructions.

The First Steps: Read the Legal Office Handout & Visit the Legal Office

To ensure compliance with USFK Regulation 600-240, any service member seeking to marry in Korea should review the legal handout and visit the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate for advice. This applies to those seeking to marry foreign nationals or U.S. citizens. The professionals at the Legal Office can steer you in the right direction, providing the most current forms and explaining the process to ensure the marriage is carried out in accordance with U.S. regulations.

Other Important Notes:
  • Any documents not in English must be translated into English by a certified translator.
    • For Korean to English translation services, visit:
      • Koam Certified Public Translator
        52 Sinjang-ro, Pyeongtaek-si, Gyeonggi
        Phone: +82 31.668.3235
      • Right side of 7-Eleven in the SED, 3rd Floor between Tom’s Realty and Lucky Realty
    • Military OneSource also provides translation services
  • Prior to the actual marriage ceremony, servicemembers should request a review by the Legal Office to ensure all procedures are satisfied.

For more information, please review USFK Regulation 600-240.