Dependent Employment Overview

Finding employment overseas can be a challenge as positions are limited. Be open to contractor, federal jobs, or starting as a volunteer. The Military & Family Readiness Center (M&FRC) has many tools to help aid in finding employment, including:

  • Job search assistance
  • Career fairs
  • Networking events
  • Resume and interview seminars

Click here to schedule an appointment with the M&FRC.

Federal Employment

The Federal hiring process is lengthy. Once you have your assignment notification, you can start applying for jobs which can help reduce the length of time between employment. You can search for jobs and set up alerts on the website.

Starting 30 days before you arrive at a new duty station, dependents can apply for Federal jobs using Military Spouse Preference (MSP) and/or Overseas Family Member Preference (FMP), if you meet all criteria. At a minimum, you’ll need to submit the following with your application:

  • PCS Orders listing your name
  • Marriage License (if using MSP)


Be sure to read the announcement carefully to fully understand the required documents as it can change from position to position. USAJobs resumes are different than a typical private sector resume, but the M&FRC can help. Schedule an appointment or send them an email ( for more information.

MSP & FMP Limitations

When applying for employment using MSP or FMP, many entitlements are not permitted. For example, you may not be authorized local quarter allowance (housing) or post allowance (COLA), and you may be hired as an “excepted selection” vs. “competitive selection.” MSP can only be used once per new duty location and if you apply to a job, receive the offer, and then turn down the job, you have used your spouse preference for that duty location and cannot use MSP for future applications.

For additional information on the Federal hiring process, contact the Osan Civilian Personnel Office (CPO).

Military Spouse Direct Hire Program

We understand that finding employment for spouses can be extremely difficult, especially when moving frequently and/or living overseas. Osan AB participates in the Military Spouse Direct Hire Program. To see a list of open positions or for eligibility information, visit the Osan AB Official Website or contact CPO.

Other Types of Employment

The following list contains available employers on base:

  • The Exchange (BX)*
  • Commissary*
  • Summer Hire via the Civilian Personnel Office*
  • CPR/First Aid Certified Red Cross Babysitter*
  • Thrift Shop
  • Family Childcare Provider (FCC)
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Community Bank

*Also includes employment opportunities targeted towards dependent children 15-18 years of age.

Osan AB and Camp Humphreys are approximately 30-40 minutes apart, looking for jobs at both locations can help expand your employment opportunities.

What About Employment Off Base?

In general, SOFA-affiliated members are prohibited from holding off-base employment or conducting off-base commercial enterprises without a Korean Work Visa. Obtaining a Korean Work Visa may have implications on a member’s SOFA status, so contact the Osan Legal Office for assistance if you are interested in seeking off-base employment.

Osan Civilian Personnel Office (CPO)

Bldg 936, Room 112 (behind the Enlisted Club)
DSN 784.6862 | Commercial +82 (0) 505.784.6862

Hours of Operation
Mon-Thur: 8:00 AM-3:00 PM
Fri: 8:00 AM-2:00 PM
Closed US & Korean Holidays

Click here to schedule an appointment!