Getting a USFK License & Driving in Korea

USFK Driver’s Licensing Requirements

Once you’ve taken the JKO Training and passed the USFK Online License Test, you’re ready to make an in-person appointment.

Note: Test scores are only good for 60 days. Licenses will not be issued to members that have taken the test more than 60 days prior to applying for a license. Tests must be taken at least the day prior to your appointment so scores can be verified.

Schedule an Appointment Here!

Bldg 1333 (Behind Mustang Center)
DSN 784.4568 | Commercial +82 0505.784.4568

Hours of Operation
Walk-in Hours: Mon/Wed/Fri, 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
Appt Hours: Mon-Thur, 9:00 AM-12:00 PM
For additional information, click here.

Bring the following items to your appointment:

  • CAC
  • Orders
  • Valid stateside driver’s license (bring extension card if your state requires it)
  • BOTH JKO Course & Exam Certificates
  • PTD only – JKO PTD Course Certificate
  • E6 & Below Only need one of the following: Off-Base Lease Agreement, Exception to Policy (ETP), Non-Availability Letter from Housing Office, or Accompanied orders.

If you have a gas-powered scooter or motorcycle, you must bring your Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) training card to your appointment OR have the endorsement on your stateside driver’s license.

Expired State Drivers License

If your state-issued drivers license expires, it will invalidate your USFK license since they are used in conjunction with each other. Certain states have military exemptions for U.S. military members who are stationed out of state/overseas. Members will need to work with their state’s DMV to renew their license.

Driving in Korea

While driving in Korea is similar to driving in the U.S., there are key differences that you should have learned about in your JKO course. We recommend reviewing traffic laws and signs, as well as consulting other experienced drivers prior to hitting the road for the first time.

Toll Payment

Expressway Toll Gates:

A driver typically passes through 2 toll gates on the expressway, one marking the beginning of the toll fee and the second marking the end.

  • Drivers will typically be charged at the exit, however, some tolls require payment upon entering
  • Tolls can typically be paid using a Korean debit card, cash (KRW), a TMoney card, or a Hi-Pass card
  • If you are ever in doubt, hit the service button and speak with an attendant

Hi-Pass Cards:

There are three types of Hi-Pass cards. Depending on your Korean visa type and bank account situation, you can choose between:

  • A re-fillable Hi-Pass Plus card (best for those without Korean bank accounts)
  • An auto-loading Hi-Pass card connected to a Korean bank account (best if you can’t get a Korean credit card)
  • An auto-charging Hi-Pass card connected to a particular type of Korean Credit Card(Most convenient option available at KEB Hana Bank)