All vehicles, including PTDs, scooters, and motorcycles, being used on Osan Air Base need to be registered through 51st Security Forces Squadron Pass & Registration. If vehicles are not registered, they will be subject to ticketing and towing.

The vehicle registration process is relatively easy but can be somewhat confusing depending on how members acquire the vehicle. The overall process is the same regardless of if the vehicle is shipped from the U.S. or purchased in-country, but where and how that registration occurs will likely differ.

Registration with the Republic of Korea

Registration must be completed within 10 days after purchasing, receiving from port, delivered with household goods, or otherwise legally acquired. The Pyeongtaek DMV issues a one-time temporary license plate for vehicles. After the initial 10 days, a fine for failure to register and return the plates of 30,000 Korean Won (KRW) will be issued, and an additional 10,000 KRW per day thereafter. Under the ROK Automobile Management Act, Article 84, failure to return temporary license plates is grounds to be fined up to 1,000,000 KRW and is noted in English on the temporary plate application form.

Documents needed for vehicle licensing and registration: Keep ALL documentation related to the purchase, registration, and insurance of your vehicle in your vehicle at all times.

  • Proof of Insurance: The insured member’s name must match the registered owner’s unless a Power of Attorney (POA) is used. The insurance company/policy used must offer coverage for the South Korean area (e.g. AIG, LIG, USAA). The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the insurance document must match the vehicle exactly. The period of insurance must include date of registration
  • Valid USFK 134EK Driver’s License (Orange Card): A valid Republic of Korea (ROK) license may be used OR a valid U.S. license if within 30 days of arrival to Korea. See the Note 1 below
  • U.S. Drivers’s License
  • Proof of Ownership: Vehicle Title or Previous Registration
  • Valid DoD Identification: Common Access Card (CAC)
  • Military Orders (Active-Duty), Letter of Employment (Federal Civilian), or Letter of Accreditation (DoD Contractor)
  • Vehicle Safety Inspection: Must be completed within 90 days prior to registration (not required for vehicles less than 2 years old)
  • USFK Form 31EK-E (Application for Registration of USFK Privately Owned Vehicle)
  • Import/Customs Shipping Documents (vehicle shipping forms, if applicable)
  • Email from the VPC or Dealer: Confirming the vehicle is scheduled for pick-up (if applicable)
  • Permit for Temporary Plates: This is a ROK Form that may also be obtained from the Pass & Registration/Vehicle Registration Office or Pyeongtaek DMV. See Note 2 below
  • Exception to Policy (ETP), if applicable

Note 1: USFK Invited Contractors and USFK third-country national employees and their family members are authorized, but not required, to obtain a USFK 134EK license, as long as they are first in possession of a ROK driver’s license or valid international driver’s permit prior to obtaining the USFK 134EK.

Note 2: Temporary plates are not required if the vehicle remains on USAG Humphreys or on Osan AB and the deregistration process is completed within 2 business days. During this time, the vehicle must remain parked at an on-post residence prior to it being shipped out from the Vehicle Processing Center (VPC).

Registering a Shipped Vehicle

After scheduling and picking up a vehicle from the USAG Humphreys VPC, you’ll need to register it or get temporary plates before you can leave the base.

Vehicle Inspection: This is required if the vehicle is not already SOFA registered OR if the vehicle is more than 2 years old from the manufacturing date.

On-Base safety inspection options at Camp Humphreys

Auto Oasis (no appointment needed)
Bldg 2270
Phone: +82 (0)70.7597.2001

Auto Craft Shop (no appointment needed)

Bldg 2250
Phone: +82 (0)503.356.8803

Safety Inspections on Osan AB

Auto Oasis (no appointment needed)
Bldg 1214
Phone: +82 (0)10.5405.3508

Take all required documents to the Pyeongtaek DMV Liaison at the Pass & ID/Vehicle Registration Office in Maude Hall at USAG Humphreys OR the DMV Office in Pyeongtaek City (AFTER getting temporary plates from Maude Hall).

Pyeongtaek DMV, Camp Humphreys One Stop Service

Bldg 6400
Phone: +82 (0)31.8024.5525

Hours of Operation
Mon-Fri: 10:00 AM-4:00 PM (Closed for lunch 11:30 AM-1:00 PM)

Pyeongtaek City DMV (Off-Base)

Address: 1165-8 Doil-dong
Phone: +82 (0)31.8024.5523

Note: If picking up from the VPC and planning to register at Maude Hall, it’s highly recommended to schedule an early appointment and plan to be in line at the Maude Hall Pass & Registration prior to opening.

The Pyeongtaek Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Liaison co-located with the Pass & ID/Vehicle Registration Office in Maude Hall at USAG Humphreys is a ROK Government office and does not fall under the Garrison or USFK purview. They are there for the community’s convenience, and as such, their hours of operation or manning may be different than those of Maude Hall. Please note that the Pyeongtaek DMV only takes cash in Korean Won (KRW).

NOTE: Vehicles are sometimes picked up from the Busan or Incheon port. If this is the case with your vehicle, contact the Pass & ID/Vehicle Registration Office for guidance.

Pyeongtaek City Vehicle Registration Requirements

  • Obtain a USFK Vehicle Safety Inspection if the vehicle is not already SOFA registered OR if the vehicle is more than 2 years old from the manufacturing date AND within 30 days of registering vehicle. (see above for inspection locations)
  • Bring all documents listed above, including safety inspection if applicable, and the temporary license plates if applied for, to the Pyeongtaek DMV Liaison at the Pass & ID/Vehicle Registration Office in either Maude Hall or the DMV Office in Pyeongtaek City to receive permanent steel plates
  • After receiving permanent plates and ROK Vehicle Registration Form, the vehicle must be reported and registered with the Pass & ID/Vehicle Registration Office for final USFK registration in DBIDS, application of USFK Vehicle Decal, and issuance of USFK Form 207 (USFK Registration and Certificate of Title)

USFK Registration

All vehicles, regardless of procurement method, must be registered in the sponsor’s name at the sponsor’s base of assignment (e.g. Osan must register at Osan Air Base’s DBIDS office). DBIDS registration is generally the last step in the vehicle registration process. Vehicle registration is the sponsor’s responsibility – dependents are not authorized to register vehicles. Registration expiration coincides with the sponsor’s DEROS, so members must be renewed registration with the Pass & Registration office if their tour length is extended.

To register your vehicle Schedule an Appointment with Pass and Registration.

Helpful Information

License Plate Mounting

Rear license plates must be affixed with ROK issued tamper-proof bolt. A license plate mounting service is available behind Maude Hall at USAG Humphreys for a small fee (~10,000 KRW). Vehicles with improperly mounted plates may incur a fine up to 3,000,000 KRW.

Common Fees:

  • Permanent Steel Plates with ROK issued tamper-proof bolt: 16,000 KRW
  • Temporary Wooden Plates: 1,800 KRW
  • Deregistration Fee: 1,100 KRW
  • POV/Motorcycle Owner Transfer (SOFA to SOFA): Free
  • POV Owner Transfer (Korean to SOFA): 35,000 KRW
  • New Motorcycle: 6,000 KRW
  • Motorcycle Owner Transfer (Korean to SOFA): 9,000 KRW

Each Household is Limited to: (Exceptions to policy may apply)

  • One (1) 4-wheeled vehicle per household
  • One (1) 2-wheeled motorized vehicle per Licensed Driver in that household

Permanent Handicap Decals

To obtain a permanent handicap decal, the Pass & Registration office requires an MFR free of HIPAA violations from the member’s PCM, or if they cannot receive one from a military physicians due to their SOFA statuses or not being in the military, they can receive one from an off-base physician that is signed and translated.  Once the MFR is received, a Handicap Status will be annotated on the member’s USFK FM 31EK.  We recommend members to have their MFRs with their vehicle documents for any incidents that may arise (i.e. traffic violations, accidents, etc.)

Temporary Handicap Passes

This is very similar to the permanent pass. Te only difference is that there will be a timeline annotated on the MFR that cannot exceed more than 6 months and one or more of the criteria listed below must be met. If the need for a temporary pass does exceed 6 months, the member needs to see their PCM or Licensed Physician to get reevaluated and a new MFR will then need to be accomplished and brought in.


  1. Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest.
  2. Cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device.
  3. Are restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person’s forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg on room air at rest.
  4. Use of portable oxygen.
  5. Have a cardiac condition to the extent that the person’s functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association.
  6. Are severely limited in their ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
Osan Pass & Registration

Bldg 765 (At the Chapel intersection)
DSN 784.4489/5194 | Comm +82 (0) 505.784.4489/5194

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
Walk-ins: 8:00 AM-10:00 AM
Appointments: 12:00 PM-4:00 PM
Thursdays are reserved for ROKAF Conscripts
Closed Holidays/FW Down Days & FW Training Days